Monday, May 4, 2009

MapMyRun

I love my Nike+ monitor, but the other day I was wondering how accurate it really was. I didn't feel like going to the gym to run on the (itty-bitty) track. Seriously, 12-13 laps per mile can make you dizzy. I feel like a hamster running in a ball when I run there.

Anyway, I found this site Map My Run. It allows you to, er, map your run by clicking on the map to indicate your route. Then it will calculate the distance for you. It seems pretty powerful and does say something about integration with the Nike+ monitor, but I haven't gotten that far yet. So far I used it to make sure my monitor was calibrated properly. It said I was running about 2.5 miles during my regular workout and Map My Run confirmed that distance.

Now I've been using it to devise a new route that adds a little length. Last time I tried to diverge while I was out running, I almost got lost and ended up climbing a rather large hill to get home. Thankfully, Map My Run has a topo feature as well so as long as I plan the route before I go, I shouldn't face that challenge again, unless I want to (doubtful!)

No comments:

Post a Comment